Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quitters Never Prosper


Confession: At times, I have allowed myself to fall under the hypnosis of quitting, merely because there was the suggestion that I could always come back to it, or perhaps it wasn’t for me. I absolutely despised and hated to my core not succeeding, and it is true, I always came back to whatever I may have left in the dust one way or another. Maybe it was two years later, maybe it was two days later, but I have always revisited something that I did not finish. I can be a bit stubborn when it comes to things like that.


First: Let me identify the purpose of this post. This post is about not quitting, it is about recognizing our flaws and what keeps us from our success. True, there are multiple blogs that speak on inspiration I’m sure; unfortunately, I have yet to really scour the internet reading other people’s thoughts and that is only because I am always reading people’s thoughts in a book. I’m not a gossip blogger, the most you will find is me venting about how people are so nasty or disputing some random statement that was presented by someone in the media, but you will never find me engaged in the latest debate on the color of Jake Gyllenhaal’s underwear, or who Charlie Hannum is dating (okay maybe, but most likely not lol). Nonetheless, you will never see me blog about gossip because that does not feel welcoming to my spirit, it’s just not a homely thing for me. However, you may see me broach a subject that perhaps has already been tackled. I feel that sometimes reiterating something is absolutely important. Often, we do not hear what we need to hear at the right time or the right amount of times. Repetition is often overlooked as a key component to success.


This morning, I woke up with book(s) in hand and dogs in tow, coupled with the intent to make coffee and breakfast while allowing my husband to sleep in. I came out on my porch and let them run around as I noticed that my flowers are blossoming around my home. They look beautiful. The yard is the next to follow. The American flag is swaying side to side as it dangles off one of the columns attached to my home. The sun is so bright; I literally began thinking of going to get my shades and that is when the song hit me: the future’s so bright, I got to wear shades!!!


So, as I got to thinking about how bright the future is, I got to thinking about how many of us quit before we reach a destined point in our path, which may have better refined our road to glory. Let me tell you something before I go on, because I just need to say it: You are worth all the glory there is to offer, no matter where you are, who you are, and what you may have done. We can change our steps by simply redefining ourselves along with our plan. Now, I always have a plan. I have a plan A, a plan B, a plan C, and to be honest, I have a plan that goes all the way down to the end of the alphabet until I have to start doubling up the letters and adding roman numerals on to them. Sometimes things do not go accordingly, and when they don’t, we need to step back and redefine what it is that we are doing. Maybe our outcome isn’t the problem, but instead it is us. Maybe we missed a crucial point in the planning process.

You know, I had always wanted to be a lawyer, I really did. But something was unsettling with me about becoming a lawyer that of course I did not become one. There were many variables that came into play for me not going to law school, and for a while it was hard for me to cope because that was the only real plan that I had for myself; that is until I stopped to look at what it was that I wanted to do. Going to law school was going to be my means to helping vulnerable populations or people who were unable to help themselves. I really thought that was the only way I could fight injustice or redefine what justice means, but it’s not. To be honest, I lived a pretty sheltered life by parents, and I am thankful for that in a lot of ways. It has kept me sane in a world full of chaos. However, I have taken to look at the outcome of my road process. I am not saying that I may never go to law school, but right now I am happy pursing my masters in social work. I am happy with the idea of applying to Chapel Hill for a PhD in Social Work or perhaps studying psychology and focusing on what causes aggression (something that I have recently became interested in while pursing my masters, random I know), or perhaps maybe even getting a PhD in public policy because I would love to be a part of the rewriting policies that seek to help victims but in reality may hamper victims. So, you see, the outcome of what it was that I wanted to do never changed, helping people, becoming a better me. However, the means were not through what I intentionally thought they were going to be. We walk on a cycle sometimes until we find the point to get off and find somewhere to plant new seeds (ideas and such).

It is not easy getting to where you need to be, but it doesn’t have to be hard either; it can be fun, challenging, and rewarding all together. Anything worth having is created through love and assiduous work. Just placate your mind with this idea that this will not last forever, you are unwaveringly devoted to success, and that you will wallow in your glory sooner than later. Every day you are closer to success. If it is something say dealing with math, and you have never been that strong with numbers, does not mean you should not do it. You do not have to be extremely smart to succeed in things, you just have to be willing to work at it, stay focused, and willing to grow and learn. At least this is what I believe, and I am only basing this off of my own growth and watching people’s futures around me.


Have you ever stopped to think that we are in the front row to watch not only our own future, but the future of others around us? If you ever have a question about how something may turn out, just look around you, it’s in the diligent or indolent steps of others; the answers are right in front of us all. Remember write down your plan no matter how terrible your grammar may be, or how silly your handwriting may look, it is yours and own it. Love every moment of becoming the success you designed yourself to be. Don’t quit off of technicalities, because quitters are the biggest losers in the end. Rise like the full moon did last night, and shine as bright a beautiful, by just keeping your faith and trying :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment